Monday, June 24, 2024

Favorite Places- The Hardware Store

 

The weather was so hot on Saturday that we decided to go out and run errands and window shop rather than sit around bored with the heat. It seemed like a good idea at the time. But, it turned out to be more miserable walking across parking lots, and getting in and out of the car in the heat than if we had just stayed home. 

One stop we made was at our local Northwest hardware store. I was blown away by the expansion of their nuts and bolts department. This is not a big hardware store but this aisle is impressive! Steve and I both found everything we were looking for. I really enjoy a good hardware store. I strongly dislike endlessly walking around the big box hardware stores, wandering aimlessly and not being able to find things. The smaller neighborhood stores are easier to navigate and to locate items. 

Way back when, between first and second year of college I worked in the hardware section of our local Joy's department store. I mixed paint, cut keys, and helped people find things. I learned a lot that summer and I liked all the creative, helpful items one could find in a hardware department. I also started dating Steve around that time so it is all one, big happy memory. Sometimes he would pick me up from work. I can still remember how he smelled- like new leather. A hardware clerk and a shoe salesman, and a whole lot of dreams...


1 comment:

  1. And it sounds like your dream came true ;-)
    When there was a shoe repair shop still in town, I loved the smell of leather and shoe polish. Thanks for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete