As much as I love gardens, trees, and flowers, I vowed in recent years that it was time to simplify life in respect to upkeep of the property. A garden simplification would mean less beds to weed, less produce to put up, less mulch to spread, less watering, etc. For these reasons, it was a real struggle to make the decision to create a new garden bed. The project grew out of three problems that I aimed to solve. One: The boulders at the burn pile were not proving useful and were mostly in the way. Two: The triangle of grassy area next to our parking area was difficult to mow because grass either blew onto the driveway or onto the planting beds that were already there. Three: The tangled cotoneaster shrubs that were previously located in the dirt area next to the driveway were difficult to weed and had become overgrown with grass. I told my friend what I was struggling with and she suggested I ask ChatGpt to design a garden bed. ChatGpt gave me a fairy tale, gorgeous garden in this space. That was the catalyst to make up my mind to do it.
I was surprised Steve went along with my (ChatGpt's) plan. He devised a way to move the two, eight hundred pound boulders, he dug up the grass, he agreed to have a load of planting soil be delivered, and he spread the dirt by shovel for me because I complained that the tractor was chewing up the lawn. After he did his part he turned it over to me for planting. Then came the drenching rain.
What a messy, smelly job it was mucking around in the wet, composted soil to get everything planted. I wanted the plants to have the benefit of the rain so I went ahead and planted in the rain. The plants and shrubs had been sitting around all summer and needed some quick TLC. The bed is off to a good start which will be finished in the spring. At that point there will be more plantings, mulch, and an edging of pavers to tidy up the lines between gravel and grass and garden lines.





What a job but looks nice. I too have been downsizing gardens also.
ReplyDeleteCathy