Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Colonial Williamsburg, Virginia

     Something Steve and I have wanted to do for years but could never seem to find or take the time to do was visit Williamsburg. We finally made it and it was well worth the wait. We barely scratched the surface of all there was to see and I could gush on and on about the architecture, the cobblestones, the bricks, mossy roofs, tidy privets, amazing gardens, the beautiful church, sheds galore, and the amazing history at every turn. We spent ten hours roaming at our leisure. We toured the interior of several buildings including the Capital, the Palace and several small establishments like the blacksmith and apothecary.We must go back again, but in the meantime here are a handful of the hundreds of photos we took.


I had no idea Colonial Williamsburg was so big.
A tiny portion of the main thoroughfare, Duke of Gloucester Street where Steve's favorite spot, the blacksmith's shop is located- on the left in the rear.
We enjoyed roaming the side streets and back alleys.

Every detail was beautiful and every spot used for something, like this little square patch of ivy.
I really liked the Apothecary shop. It smelled interesting.

A beautiful Live Oak on (or near) the Palace Green.

It's all about the details...

First we visited the simple person's garden, which was pretty amazing.

Then we walked to the Palace gardens. Oh my! The left and right sides are flanked by two allees of trees.
Here is the allee on the left.
I chose this perfect place, in the allee, to eat my truffle : )
The rear of the Palace.

Bittersweet espaliered on the wall! I've never seen this done with bittersweet.


We attended an organ concert by candlelight while children and families were trick-or-treating outside. It was fun to be in town after dark with all the Halloween festivities going on. It was also remarkable to sit here in the Bruton Parish Church knowing it was built over 300 years ago and pondering who else in history may have sat here.
The following day we drove along the Colonial Parkway along the Powhatan River and the site of the Jamestown settlement. Another reason we must go back, to see Jamestown.



3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this look at Williamsburg - it's just as I remember it. My sister and I visited there when they lived in Hampton, Virginia at Fort Monroe - seems as if it was just a short drive. Love your eye with the camera and the beautiful details. Looks like a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I had a truffle to eat as I enjoy these photos.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful it is there! I love history, and I would really love to see Williamsburg. My sister Vinca sent my son all kinds of souvenirs and pictures from there for a Flat Stanley project.

    Thank you for taking us on this journey with you! It's so much fun to live in one place and get to experience scenery entirely different through the words and pictures of friends or friendly bloggers. :) So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete