Sunday, August 2, 2015

In My Opinion: Go Set a Watchman by Harper Lee

   
     I just finished slogging my way through Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. Oh dear. As much as Jean Louise was disappointed in her Atticus, I was disappointed in my Harper Lee. My opinion of the book has nothing to do with the fact that our beloved Atticus was defending the ignorant, racist ways of that time and place, on which so many other reviewers have commented. It is more about the boring, dull writing that seems to go nowhere except around in circles. There were a few shining moments when Scout reminisces about her childhood. These passages reflect the author's brilliance that made me love To Kill a Mockingbird.
     I am one of those who will name To Kill a Mockingbird as one of my favorite books. I pre-ordered Go Set a Watchman in anticipation of the release of something wonderful. I expected something as well written and engaging as her first novel. Oh well. The biography, The Mockingbird Next Door was my first revelation that Nelle Harper Lee was a real person. Go Set a Watchman simply brought her more down to earth for me. Some famous people are better left shrouded in mystery and I should have left well enough alone But how can any fan not read Harper Lee's latest release? It goes without saying; it had to be read.

1 comment:

  1. I did the pre-order thing, too, and it arrived right on time. On the shelf it went - I've just read too much about it to want to read it right now. I don't think she would have wanted it published - I think she is not herself right now and agreed. I'll read it sometime - maybe at Christmas when I'm at the farm for a few days.

    ReplyDelete