Thursday, July 31, 2014

Happy Tears, Longsuffering, I Win!

1. She is nine hundred and eighty-five miles away, but very near in my thoughts. Tomorrow she is finished. My emotions run high and I can't think about what she's done or I cry. It's all good.
1a. Parents living vicariously through their children is often spoken of in a negative connotation. But I would argue that it is a gift. If we allow our children to make their own path and then we converse with them about their experiences, rejoice with them in their accomplishments and grieve with them in their failures, then they have included us on their journey. One definition of vicariously is: felt or enjoyed through imagined participation in the experience of others. So, there it is; we have hiked the AT vicariously through our daughter (sister, friend) and it has been amazing. Thank you for letting us come along Chelsea. : )
2. Our thirty-third wedding anniversary is tomorrow. I asked him how he would like to celebrate. He said, "Let's just be happy together." I don't know why, but that totally cracked me up.
3. We played Scrabble. It was quite exciting and dramatic. We had accusations of cheating, demands to Google the rules, one attempt to quit (I had three E's, one I, one A, and a Q with no U), and finger tapping tension. (That was all me. He was perfectly calm) He was in the lead the whole game until I drew the 'U', spelled L-I-Q-U-O-R on a double word score and won. Who-wee, we are just crazy fun here.

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad I got to read about her hike - it's been great reading.

    Scrabble on your anniversary - sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Chelsea's walk with me through your words and her blog. I really enjoyed reading about her adventure and loved her photographs. This part of the world is foreign to me as we live on the other side of the continent!

    ReplyDelete