Friday, February 22, 2013

Encouragement, Provisions, Settling Into Evening

1. Sitting in the waiting room at the oral surgeon's, mourning the loss of my tooth in pure vanity at the thought of becoming a toothless granny. Suddenly someone says, "Hello!". I look up and see an acquaintance; a young professional engineer, a beautiful wife, and mother whom I admire. She shyly covers her novocained mouth and gives me a hug. She's had a tooth out and gone through months of restoration. God, in His infinite wisdom, knew exactly what I needed today.
2. A phone call with the offer of a small job that fits perfectly with my needs. Yes, I've been praying for that, too! Can this day get any better?
3. In the waning light at the end of a rainy day, I light the lamps and draw the shades to make the rooms cozy.
4. Recalling our Catholic roots and enjoying fish on a Lenten Friday. One of three favorite fish recipes I use regularly:

                                                        Fillet of Sole Parmesan

1/2 c.grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 c.butter 
3 Tbl. mayonnaise 
3 Tbl. chopped scallions 
1 1/2 lbskinless sole fillets (I use cod)
2 Tbl. lemon juice
Ads keep BigOven free. Remove ads with BigOven Pro
1. Grease the rack of a broiler pan; set aside.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise, and scallions Set aside.
3. Measure the thickness of the fish fillets, then place them in a single layer on the prepared rack of the broiler pan. Brush the fillets with the lemon juice and let stand for 10 minutes.
4. Allow 4 to 6 minutes of broiling time per 1/2-inch thickness of fillet. Broil the fillets 3 to 4 inches from the heat for 4 to 5 minutes. Spread the cheese mixture over the fillets. Broil for 2 to 3 minutes more or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork and the topping is golden. Garnish each fillet with additional sliced scallions, if desired.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the job! Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to hearing about the job! And thanks for the recipe - I'm making your tortellini soup today.

    ReplyDelete