Sunday, May 13, 2012

Brood I, A Gazillion Calories Per Spoonful, Well Said


1. The woods hum with a seventeen year cycle of cicadas. It's the talk of local nature lovers and bug haters alike. Eggs lie underground for seventeen years, all to emerge simultaneously- it's quite a marvel. The dozens of holes that pock- mark the ground beneath the trees where they hatch are fascinatingly creepy.
2. Cream of coconut. It's for a cake, but I have to eat some on a spoon.
3. Mari is here! She rehearsed our names with her mom during the four-hour drive. "Nonni" and "Pop" and all the aunts and uncles names, too.

5 comments:

  1. How is it we had cicadas last year - in 2011? Oh my - I know they are harmless, but I sat my purse down outside for a second and one jumped in and came in my house! I thought I'd never capture it. :) Quite comical looking, I'm sure.

    And one landed on my back when I was outside watering plants one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Is that your picture, Leonora? Amazing. I love the song of cicadas. Had no idea how they nested and hatched though. Amazing, too!

    Your mention of Mari makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, Jayne. This was taken on our back patio. They aren't as big as this looks. I'd say they're about 1 1/2 inches long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy your visit with mari! we're off to see our grand babies today...so excited to see them both <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the sound of cicadas. I also love cream of coconut. I'd eat the whole can if I didn't think I'd have a heart attack.

    I read your other post about the foals. There is a farm down the road here that has maybe two dozen minis and they all just had foals. People pull over on the side of the road to look at them because they are so cute!

    ReplyDelete