Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday in the Yard

1. The vegetable garden soil is moist and dark once it's turned. It's beautiful this way, without anything planted. It's new and anticipating, like spring itself.
2.  One more big job which requires the guys' muscle. We need to replant five hemlocks that were put in too deep last year. Steve rigs an A-frame and uses the truck to hoist them up while the rest of us scramble to move dirt, etc. I feel much better about the trees chance for survival now that this is done.
3. The sun beats down on us during the entire project in #2. I keep glancing at the sky for some respite from the heat. As soon as the last tree is in, the sky clouds over, a cooling wind kicks up and raindrops hit our skin. I use this as permission to do no more outside work for today and I'm glad. But before I go in, I take a chair and sit for a minute to let the weather's cooling effect sweep over me

1 comment:

  1. What a great feeling that must have been to get all that done! I'll bet you will have a beautiful vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete