Saturday, December 3, 2011

Another World

1. I'm driving around highly populated areas this week and the Christmas lights displays are fantastic! It's beginning to feel more like Christmas.
2. Hugs are tighter and longer, kisses are sweeter and tears are briefer.
3. Two elderly ladies, neither of whom speaks, sit side by side at the lunch table. They clasp hands and smile huge smiles, showing everyone that they are Best Friends Forever.
4. I attend Catholic Mass with my FIL. Voices echo in the church just like I remember. The scriptures are for advent and proclaim the coming of our Lord; the incense, the music and the darkness outside make everything feel close and somehow mysterious. But what changes it up is Father Koffi. He is from Ghana and his voice with accent and his sense of humor bring a slight touch pf playfulness into the mystery.
5. New York accents!!! I've never noticed them before. Do I sound like this?
6. It gets dark very early up here. By 4:00, it is night. I'm not crazy about it, but it is so familiar that I embrace it like an old favorite blanket.

2 comments:

  1. Your descriptions of being "home" are perfect, Leonora. I love the one about the two friends clasping hands.

    I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this Leonora. It sounds like home to me. I miss all the Christmas lights from back home in my local town. Not as many people light up over here. it is dark by 4 pm over here these days as well. Quite cosy. xxoo

    ReplyDelete