Friday, October 7, 2011

Some of Fall's Favorites

1. The nursery had bins of heirloom pumpkins and gourds in every color, shape and size. This one looks like it's made of terra cotta.
2. Several years ago I stumbled upon a trick for preserving real leaves that works pretty well. (Those are real leaves under the pumpkin.) Iron them between sheets of waxed paper, just like we used to do when we were kids. Leave them for a day, then peel the paper off. The wax stays on the leaves and keeps them from browning.
3. Caramel apples sit on a plate of buttered wax paper.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, what a pretty pumpkin. I haven't brought the outside in yet for fall. It's time.
    I'll have to tell my mom about your method for preserving leaves. She likes to paint them with clear nail polish!
    I can smell fall here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll remember that tip about the leaves. I have bought those fake autumn leaves to scatter on tables before and they can be hard to find. :)

    ReplyDelete