Thursday, December 23, 2010

Happy Christmas!

My days are chock full of blessings in the simplest, but most meaningful forms. The celebration of the nativity of our Lord and Savior gives joy and purpose to our gatherings. All of us together under one roof for a few days, good things to eat, kind thoughts given through gifts, friends, laughter and memories. A pretty tablecloth, baby's first smiles, candles, lovely music, a warm house and cozy bed at night, indulgent sweets, the smell of baby's hair, board games, eggnog, wrapping papers and ribbon.
Last night we opened a bottle of Crown Royal that my dad had saved from 1952. It was the year he and my mom built their house. We decided to celebrate the addition of our first grandchild (and his first great-grandchild were he still alive) by opening this saved relic. We're not a family of drinkers, which is probably why my dad never opened the bottle in the first place, but we decided this was a fitting occasion. Life is to be lived today! So we toasted baby Marian and thanked God for our blessings. And under my breath I thanked Dad and hoped he wasn't mad. Of his three daughters, it would be me that opened the bottle.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure your dad celebrated right along with you and thought it was a very fitting occasion indeed! Merry Christmas Leonora! xxoo

    ReplyDelete