Monday, November 8, 2010

A New York Weekend

1. Driving a ridge line along the Mohawk River in western NY, a line of geese flies along the opposite bank. I estimate it must be at least a quarter mile long. The string contains several V's that weave an interchange within itself.
2. It's been months since we've seen our families. Big, secure hugs reaffirm our bonds and we get on with the business if visiting.
3. Mom's spaghetti and meatballs. (Little happy jig.)
4. My sister and I chat in the living room. Mom comes in and covers each of our laps with a blanket.
5. We rake leaves, fix pipes and do other odds and ends. But what really makes my mom the happiest is her ability to serve us.
6. A Sunday drive for apples, cider donuts, maple sugar candy and smokey cheese.
7. We leave NY on a cold gray morning with sleet hitting the windshield. Ten hours later, shedding scarves, sweaters and jackets along the way, we arrive in sunny Virginia where it's 65 degrees.
8. I am so thankful that Steve came with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment