Sunday, October 10, 2010

Bittersweet, Warm October, A delicious pound cake

1. I didn't find any pretty, colored leaves, but I did find a new source of Bittersweet vine closer to my house.
2. The weather was so mild this weekend that we were back on the porch for a Sunday afternoon.
3. Claire sent me a recipe for pound cake, knowing that I am on an everlasting search for the "perfect" pound cake. She said it was the best she's ever tasted, so I baked one today. Yes, this is my favorite so far. I love almond flavoring, but you could easily change it to lemon, vanilla, orange or anything. I wasn't crazy about the frosting since a glaze, or none at all, would better suit a pound cake. But this was a big hit with everyone.

Barbara's Pound Cake

3 c. sugar (just do it)
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1/2 c. Crisco
6 eggs, room temperature
3 c. flour
1/2 tea. baking powder
1/4 tea. salt
8 oz. sour cream
1/4 c. buttermilk
2 tea. almond extract

Cream together sugar, butter and Crisco. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
Slowly add half of the flour mixture to the wet until blended. Add in sour cream, buttermilk and almond extract. Then slowly add remaining flour mixture. Mix thoroughly.
Pour into greased and floured 10-inch angel food cake pan.
Bake at 325 F, for about 1 hour 20 minutes or until done when tested with toothpick. Let cool completely before icing.

Icing:
Mix together:
4 c. powdered sugar
1 stick butter, room temperature
2 tea. almond extract
Enough milk or cream to make proper consistency

No comments:

Post a Comment