Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Canning and Gardening, A Little Baking, Too



1. July already! The garden will explode very soon. B. dropped off a half bushel of pickling cucumbers this afternoon which means tomorrow will be a canning day. My notes jotted on my dill pickle recipe include yields and prices. Cucumber inflation as follows:  
1997 1/2 bu. $12  
2011 1/2 bu. $16  
2014 1/2 bu. $25

Pretty dill growing among the string beans
 2.The dill reseeds itself and comes up everywhere- in every garden bed, on paths, in the compost. I never have to purposely plant any. In fact, it's just the opposite. I have to pull it out and thin it down to a few strategic plants. It's a favorite plant for the Monarch butterflies so I leave extra for them.
3. I baked not just ordinary apple turnovers, but turnovers with a butter crust. My day has just gotten more exciting.

1 comment: