Tuesday, July 23, 2013

In the Garden, Pesto!

1. An adorable baby bunny dashes in and out of the bushes that grow against the house. I see it again later, darting back and forth around the raised vegetable beds. I think he's practicing his evasive skills.
2. I am very content to have this morning outside for garden chores. Grooming and trimming, digging and dumping. It was solitudinous, yet I was surrounded by friends.
3. One thing that's growing monstrous is the basil! I set aside this afternoon to make pesto. 
This is my favorite recipe. It works just as well with parsley if you prefer a parsley pesto.

Parsley or Basil Pesto
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts
4 cups parsley or basil leaves loosely packed. (I pack them tighter than loose.)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove
1/2 cup grated Parmesan
3/4 tea. coarse salt
pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350°. Spread nuts on baking sheet; toast until golden and fragrant, tossing occasionally, 5-8 minutes.
Combine first four ingredients in food processor. Process until it forms a paste. Add Parmesan and salt and continue to process until smooth.
Store in airtight containers or heavy Ziploc bags in refrigerator or freezer.





1 comment: