Friday, July 15, 2011

It's all about the pickle

Photo courtesy PBS.org

1. My treasure today is a half-bushel of pickling cucumbers from Ikenberry's. They came tightly packed in a clean, white box, fresh from a local farm.
2. My canning book has margin notes that I've made over the years. I see that I bought a half-bushel of cukes in 1997 for $12. Today they cost $16. My notes also tell me how many quarts and pints a half-bushel yielded in 2005.
3. I notice Steve in the garden, picking dill. I think he's excited about having hot dill pickles this winter.

Hot Dill Pickles
In each jar place:
1 clove garlic
2 heads dill
1 piece of hot red chili pepper
1 Tablespoon canning salt
Boil:
3 quarts water
1 quart vinegar

Pack pickles into hot, sterile jars. pour boiling brine over pickles, leaving 1/4 inch head space. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
You may leave out the hot pepper, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment