Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"Faith" from Peace Like a River by Leif Enger


"Where do you think you are going?" Dr. Nokes demanded. I think he feared the sickness had touched the part of Dad's brain in charge of good sense. "What do you have for directions?" he asked.

And Dad, eyebrows raised in delight with his forthcoming answer, said, "I have the substance of things hoped for. I have the anticipation of things unseen."

Dr. Nokes was posing these questions to Jeremiah Land as he prepared to take his family on a risky venture in an Airstream camper while not being fully healed from a bout of pneumonia.
Couldn't these questions be posed about life in general? I imagine someone asking me, as I walk the path of life, "Where do you think you're going." What do you have for directions?" And my answer would be the same as Jeremiah's. Because really, I have no clue where I'm going and I certainly have no directions. But God has given me the substance of things hoped for and the anticipation of things unseen. And therefore, joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment