Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A lot to be thankful for

I rush up the road after the phone call comes, not knowing what I will find. My daughter lies in the ditch, invisible from the road if not for the neighbors and EMT crouched beside her. A short ride to gather leaves has suddenly turned painful. Vandella spooked, for no good reason, and bolted from the road, throwing Audrey head over into the ditch. Being in a great deal of pain and unsure of her injuries, we decide not to move her until the ambulance arrives. And then kindness, compassion, training and love take over.
1. For the children playing in the field who saw Audrey fall and ran for help. Otherwise, she may not have been spotted in the ditch for quite a while.
2. For our neighbors, the Benges, who called me, called 911 and brought a pillow for her head. The man who gave his jacket, and the other Benges who went after the horse, I am eternally grateful.
3. For Mr. Switzer whom I wave to in his pickup truck every day, but have never spoken to. His fatherly concern, and desire to stay until he knew Audrey was safe warmed my heart.
4. For Roanoke Memorial Hospital's efficiency and expert staff, especially Dr. Seamon, orthopedist, who showed us x-rays and explained her broken bone.
5. For morphine, valium and ibuprofen. They have their uses : )
6. For her boyfriend who held her hand.
7. For coming home, settling in and a healing process begun. It could have been SO much worse.

4 comments:

  1. I often think that, when we can see so much good in crisis moments, we have a particular kind of blessing in our lives. It's a joy to see that in you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right Tom. It is a blessing to be able to see the blessings : ) I also often see humor when I probably shouldn't, but I can't help it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a beautiful picture of Audrey and Vandella.

    I just read the latest post. It sounds like she's going to be okay. Scary stuff. What good neighbors you have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you think, Lee, when we find the humor in our life situations, we find the joy buried there! I haven't sent Audrey a card yet, but I will soon! I hope she is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete