Monday, May 24, 2010

All in a New York minute

1. We pass around the bucket of plastic toy animals, sticking our noses in and breathing deep of childhood memories.
2. We're all visiting on the back porch when we hear the distant jingle of the ice cream truck. Big, 20-something kids that they are, they jump up and run for the door, hands digging for money in their pockets.
3. My brother-in-law is clearing overgrown trees from the yard. Several helpers grab onto the rope and they make a game of tug-o-war, pulling down the large branches.
4. At my in-laws, a bowl of frozen York Peppermint Patties sits in the freezer right where it always is.
5. He hands me a Waterford crystal goblet filled with Manischewitz Concord Grape and says it's OK to take it outside.
6. An unopened bottle of Seagram's Crown Royal dated 1952 is found in the basement. This is the year my parents built their house and I guess it was a gift that my dad stashed away. He wasn't a drinker.
7. Ah, that NY accent. Everything has an "aw" in it, cawfee (coffee), bawl (ball), Gawd (God). No y'alls up here, only you guys.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful thoughts and memories. WE never had an ice cream truck when I was a kid. I used to wish we did. We do have them here, but they never stop. I have to resort to going to the seaside to get one! (But then again, that's no hardship coz there's lots of other nice things to do at the seaside!)

    ReplyDelete